EW Community

Find Me On Facebook

Checking off the bucket list in Rwanda

Friday, November 23, 2012 @ 04:11 PM
Author: Lincee

In Rwanda, women carry their babies on their backs like this.

From day one, my goal was to get one of these ladies to let me essentially take their baby, hoist it on my back, tie it on and walk around blowing bubbles to the other street kids.

I was drawn to this baby’s hair.

But he wasn’t feeling it when I tried the back hoist.  My disappointment was quickly downplayed when  I saw this kid Noah.  Clearly I just HAD to take a picture.

Then I found this little guy in the arms of his sweet Mama and this happened…

The street kids kept yelling, “Mzungu” which I’m pretty sure translates into something along the lines of crazy white woman.  I shall wear the label proudly if I get to wear the kid too.

8 Responses to “Checking off the bucket list in Rwanda”

1. Tommy Lyles says:

Congrats Lincee. I hope Rwanda has the impact on your life as it did on mine.

2. ally says:

awww this brought tears to my eyes, what a special person you are!!

3. Rebecca says:

Oh so sweet!

4. Sandy says:

you are clearly in your element =o)

5. Emily says:

I learned several years ago while in Uganda that mzungu directly translates to “man running around in circles”–but that it what they use for white people instead–HA! The missionaries also told us that in some villages, the moms say to the kids who are misbehaving that the mzungus will come and eat them if they don’t behave. So we had some kids that were terrified of us and others that ran to us for hugs! Hope you’re having a fabulous time!

6. Saggleo says:

So awesome!!!

7. Amanda K. says:

looks like you had an awesome time.
    yes, mzungu means white person. it’s good to be the minority every now and then, isn’t it?
    i was in sudan and they have a similar “white person” shout in moru (the tribal language) and the missionaries we were with would always yell back (in moru) “my name is not white person! my name is ____”

8. It startss with connecting with the Kinsmen and rebuilding any ties
    of our kids. Before downloading the edition of Clash of clans hack tools
    inn your electronic devices, you ought too have a glimpse around the folowing points that can allow you tto select the verfsion of your requirement.
    Clash of Clans ccan be a game which has many concentrate onn settijg up
    and execution of approaches and one of the most critical aspects of the game is to possess a good builder prepare tto help safe your base
    and also to destroy eneky units that may come tto attack
    your base.