IHGB Movie Review: Isn’t It Romantic
Movie: Isn’t It Romantic
Starring: Rebel Wilson, Liam Hemsworth, Adam Devine, and Priyanka Chopra
The Gist: The girl who is incapable of love is stuck in a romantic comedy. Cue the roster of hot guys and spontaneous dance numbers.
- When I left the movie theater I thought, “That was…cute.”
- Although Rebel is typically the funny sidekick, she does a decent job as the lead female character in this role.
- It helps that she was surrounded by funny people who really dug into their romantic comedy tropes.
- My favorite character in the movie was Rebel Wilson’s assistant/BFF named Whitney. She watches three or four romantic comedies a day at work. One of them was The Wedding Singer which makes me like her even more.
- Liam Hemsworth is pretty. He has abs for days and seems really likable. But if I had to choose a Hemsworth in a Battle of the Hemsworths, I’d pick this guy every time.
- Priyanka Chopra is “the beautiful woman” who does beautiful woman things in beautiful woman clothes. I’m not sure if I was supposed to like her or hate her.
- My mind kept envisioning Nick Jonas. He is, as some of you probably know, Priyanka’s new husband. Nicky is living his best life now. I call him Nicky because he’s twenty-six-years-old.
- Priyanka is a decade older than Nicky. Should I insert a cougar joke here? Probably so.
- Priyanka is a decade older than Nicky. Don’t call her a cougar. Call her a cub whisperer.
- New York City never looked so pretty!
- I wanted to like the gay friend sidekick more than I did.
- Every time Rebel Wilson and Adam Devine were together, I thought of this…
- There is a karaoke scene you will enjoy immensely.
- There is a dance scene you will like.
- The true MVP of this film is the soundtrack. Sit back, relax, and let the nostalgia wash over you!
The premise of Isn’t It Romantic has so much potential. Did it deliver? If I had to check “yes” or “no,” I would check “yes” in pencil. I would not use a sharpie. I think it’s a perfectly fine, fluffy piece of cinema you will forget immediately. You probably won’t watch it again unless it pops up on Netflix in eight months and you need some white noise playing in the background while you fold laundry. It’s not horrible, however, it’s not the romantic comedy we’ve been waiting for to bring back the romcom genre, either.
But it’s a start.