Lessons Learned from ‘She’s the Man’
Ten years ago, Channing Tatum walked into my life, shirtless, when he starred in She’s the Man. It was a time when Channing hadn’t yet introduced the world to his fierce dance moves. (Magic who? I’m taking about Tyler in Step Up!) And remember when Amanda Bynes was far from teetering all the way to Crazy Town? I love her.
We’ve all seen storylines borrowed from Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night, but She’s the Man has always been one of my favorites. You can learn a lot from teeny bopper movies. For example:
- When the coach cuts your soccer team, try out for the boy’s team across town as your twin brother.
- Find a friend who can make you look like a dude. Just in case.
- Consider it a compliment if a girl crushes on you as you are dressed up as said dude.
- Don’t get mad when your crush then crushes on the girl who is crushing on you.
- Introduce your “twin” to your hot new roommate. Especially if he looks like Channing Tatum.
- High heels are a male invention designed by men to make a woman’s butt look smaller.
- A whirling carnival ride can make your sideburns fall off. Beware.
- Chew like you have a secret.
- Have a nose bleed? Grab a tampon. It absorbs right up.
- If you wanna kiss her, you go right ahead and you kiss her. I mean, knock your self out. You just take her… then kiss her…then…kiss the crap out of her!
- Befriend anyone named Eunice. She will be mesmerizing.
She’s the Man Quotes I Still Recite
- Oh, right. Uhm, OWWWWWW! For the love, IT BURNS!
- Rub some dirt on it.
- Do you like cheese? Why yes I do! My favorite’s Gouda.
- I’ve got a lifetime of knowledge.
- I’m a hunky dude.
- She will do great things.
- Bro? Brothers? Brethren?
- She gave you the nod!
I’m not alone here, am I? You loved She’s the Man too, right? Long live Duke and Viola!