Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
For those of you who don’t know, John Hughes passed away suddenly yesterday of a heart attack.
For those of you who don’t know who John Hughes is…that makes me very, very sad that you don’t know the name of the man who more than likely holds several special places in your DVD collection.
1. He wrote the entire Home Alone series.
2. He wrote the entire Vacation series. How many of us can recite at least 10 quotes from Christmas Vacation? (I pledge allegiance. To the flag. Of the United States of America…)
3. She’s Having a Baby: Yes it was a weird twisted movie, but for some reason, my sister and I LOVED it. Especially “This Woman’s Work” pregnancy montage.
4. Planes, Trains and Automobiles: Where’s your other hand? Between two pillows. THOSE AREN’T PILLOWS!
5. Some Kind of Wonderful: (Putting in the diamond earrings.) Watts: What do you think? Keith: You look good wearing my future.
6. Weird Science: What would you boys like to do first?
7. Mr. Mom: Of course I had a connection with Jack, because he watched Young and the Restless. And don’t think I didn’t try to cook my grilled cheese with an iron.
However, nothing compares to the following cult classics. These movies were a huge part of my sister and I’s youth. I leave you with my favorite moments from Mr. Hughes’ (in my opinion) best work.
Pretty in Pink: I adored Duckie. Thanks to him, I developed a love for Otis Redding and am no longer ashamed to lip sync in public. (Pay no attention to the Spanish voiceover at the beginning of this clip.)
Breakfast Club: I had an unhealthy crush on Judd Nelson.
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off: Admit it. You wanted to be Ferris’ friend. (Or you had a crush on him as I did.) You loved that he could ditch school and not get caught. When your boss asks where you co-worker is, you quote Simone and inevitably answer: “Um…he’s sick. My best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who’s going with this girl who saw him pass at out 31 Flavors last night. I guess it’s pretty serious.”
You wanted to sing on a float in a parade.
Was that just me?
Sixteen Candles: Two words – Jake Ryan.
Much like Joey McIntyre, I thought that if I only met Jake, he would fall in love with me and ask me to marry him.
And we could do this on my birthday:
Thank you John Hughes. I will forever be grateful for your witty one-liners, your tribute to dancing/singing moments and keen eye for casting truly adorable characters.
Now it’s your turn. What are your favorite John Hughes moments? Let’s walk down memory lane in the comments section.