IHGB Movie Review: ‘Trolls’
Starring: Anna Kendrick and Justin Timberlake
The Gist: Princess Poppy must travel to a faraway land to save her friends who are seconds away from being eaten by nasty bergens.
- Go see this movie. Right now. Stop reading this review, get in your vehicle and go see this movie.
- I have two words for you: Justin Timberlake.
- Princess Poppy (Anna Kendrick) is stinking adorable. She brings joy and positivity to everyone she meets and everything she does. But Poppy is never annoying. Even when she’s scrapbooking.
- Branch (my boy JT) speaks my love language: sarcasm. He keeps Poppy grounded. Well, he tries.
- The supporting cast makes up an array of trolls that each bring a little something extra to his or her time on the screen. This includes an occasional burn, glitter bombs and inside jokes that the adults will love.
- I kid you not, at one point I leaned over because I was laughing so hard. In another moment, I high five’d my friend in the middle of a song. I’m weird. He accepts this about me.
- My favorite major character isn’t featured in the trailer. That should tell you something about this movie. There are so many wonderful parts that they can’t put them all in the marketing material! Her name is Bridget and she is my spirit bergen.
- Trolls are notoriously happy. They share their emotions through song and dance. I would have made an excellent troll.
- THE MUSIC IS INCREDIBLE.
- Never fear, Justin (musical producer, song writer, troll) made sure to cross a multitude of generations. Take your pick: ‘70s folk, ‘80s standards, hip-hop, pop, Gwen Stefani and one very big dance hit.
- I laughed hard.
- I cried once.
- I sang.
- I chair danced.
- I bought the soundtrack.
- I love this movie.
If you are in the mood to see an animated musical with romance and adventure that is both modern and a throw back to a generation who loved roller skating and the lyrical stylings of Cyndi Lauper, this is the movie for you.