The one where I talk about ‘Friends’
Friends debuted my freshman year of college. Naturally I was obsessed with the show as a whole, but found particular affection with Chandler Bing’s sarcasm and Phoebe’s quirkiness.
Back in the olden days kids, we had to actually plan our Thursday night sitcom watching around a phenomenon called “Must See TV.” Friends was an excuse to gather a bunch of girls together and root endlessly for Ross and Rachel to figure out if they were on a break or not. We laughed. We cried. We looked forward to the infamous Thanksgiving episodes. And we had to wait to go to the bathroom during commercial breaks.
Sidebar: Commercials are what you fast forward through on your DVR so you can get back to watching Hart of Dixie. They are also the annoying 60-second videos that pop up trying to sell you cars and toothpaste when you’re watching something you forgot to DVR on HULU.
This week marks 10 years since the series finale and although that makes me feel extremely mature for my age, I can’t help but smile at how this show about three guys and three girls has morphed itself into my daily vernacular. At any given moment you will probably hear me recite one or more of the following Friend-isms:
2. 15 Yemen Road. Yemen.
3. THIS IS BRAND NEW INFORMATION.
4. I’m not good with advice. Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?
5. They don’t know we know they know we know.
6. I KNOW!
7. You could drink the fat.
8. How you doin?
9. Regina Philange (when at Starbucks)
UPDATED FROM COMMENTS:
11. Ashley K. – I wish I could but I don’t want to.
12. Ann – You could not be more wrong. You could try…but you would not be successful.
13. Tobi – It’s a moo point. It’s like a cow’s opinion. It doesn’t matter. It’s moo.
14. Jen the Newlywed – “Je m’appele Claude.” “Wee too plee, blue.”
15. Jen – What’s not to like? Custard? Good. Jam? Good. Meat? GOOD.
16. Amy A. – Oh. My. Gawd. (In New Jersey accent)
17. Allison – It’s an electric drill. You “get” me, you KILL me.
18. Linsey – (Phoebe at breakfast in Las Vegas): I’m drunk.
19. Ashley V – That’s how they do pants!
20. Danielle – MY SISTER’S HAVING MY BABY!
21. Hilary and Faith (via Facebook) – Y-O-U apostrophe R-E spells you are. Y-O-U-R spells your!
22. Aneesa and Kristin (via Facebook) – You had rambled on for 18 pages. FRONT AND BACK.
23. Stephanie (via Facebook) – paste pants
24. Scott (via Facebook) – I WANT TO QUIT THE GYM.
25. Myka (via Facebook) – WE WERE ON A BREAK!
26. Donna – Get off my sister!
27. jL – Joey: Check it! We’re bracelet buddies! Chandler: That’s what they’ll call us.
28. Rachel – Princess Consuela banana hammock and crap bag
29. Leslie – But I’m next in line!
30. LegallyBlondeMommy – If I had to, I’d pee on any one of you.
31. Sarah – And now I have to live with a booooyyyyyyyy!
32. Kristin – It tastes like feet.
33. Anita and Julie – SEVEN! SEVEN! SEVEN! SEVEN-SEVEN-SEVEN… *silently* seven.
34. Claire – It doesn’t happen to every guy and it IS a big deal!
35. Kandi – Ness-lay Toll-ouse
36. Sherrine – Why is in inside out? (IT’S NOT A CAT!)
37. Kelli – (Chandler) It’s a buffet man. (Joey) Awww here’s where I win all my money back!
38. Elizabeth – Ah, just cut me a little sliver (of the pie). A little bigger. Little bigger. What?! Are you afraid you’re gonna run out?! Cut me a real piece!
39. Pam – Gum would be perfection.
40. Lorraine – He said he’s trapped in an ATM vestibule with Jill Goodacre!
41. Emmarie – You’re so far past the line…the line is a dot to you.
42. Spencer – Yes, this is the groom. What? This is not the groom, this is not the groom!
43. Jackie – When Brad Pitt was a guest star and Phoebe says “Oh take off your shirt and tell us!”
44. Leslie – I’m not freaked out. I’m indignant…as a consumer!
45. Maidie (via Facebook) – I’mmmm breezy!
46. Jennifer (via Facebook) – Rachel: Guys! Guess what, guess what, guess what, guess what!
Chandler: Um, ok, the…fifth dentist caved and now they’re all recommending Trident?
47. Lisa (via Facebook) – I shared my pudding with you man!
48. Dee – Smelly cat
49. Kelly – Tartlets, tartlets, tartlets
50. mrsb – Monica: The camera adds 10 pounds. Chandler: How many cameras are on you?
51. Jennifer H. – Let me explain to you how the human body works.
And even though it is impossible to narrow down my favorite moments from one of my favorite shows, here are five clips from Friends that warm my soul:
He’s her lobster
My eyes! MY EYES!
Ahhh. Salmon skin roll
I’m Chandler. Could I BE wearing any more clothes?
UPDATE FROM THE COMMENTS:
Sometimes at night I can still hear the screaming.
As the Rembrandts sang each week, Rachel, Ross, Chandler, Joey, Monica and Phoebe were always there for me. And they always will be. Because I own the box set.
Feel free to share your favorite one liners in the comment section! I’ll be updating the post for the next 48 hours!