Lessons Learned from Urban Cowboy
Urban Cowboy was a big part of my childhood. I’m confident the administration of HISD issued a VHS copy to each student entering kindergarten in 1980. The movie just made sense to us. I pretty much grew up with the cast of characters in Urban Cowboy. We like bull riding, two-stepping and bartenders who handed over a cold beverage without you having to ask for one. Living in Texas is just like living at Cheers. Everyone knows your name. And your drink order.
I gleaned so much wisdom from Bud and Sissy falling in love on a dance floor, getting married at Gilley’s bar, fighting like idiots, hurting each other during a break-up and falling in love all over again in a parking lot. Here’s hoping these life lessons will help you navigate seemingly impossible decisions like, “Should I enter the Dolly Parton lookalike contest?”
Dear friend. The answer to that one is always yes.
- John Travolta looks so much more handsome without a beard.
- Nothing says, “Happy Honeymoon” like a convict rodeo.
- A post-op doctor visit is overrated. Use a butter knife to remove your own cast.
- It’s okay to yell angrily at stranger, “HEY TATTOO” as long as the tats are big and visible.
- Never purchase a black, mesh shirt unless you’re going to a Halloween party as Wes Hightower.
- The rich girl from Houston is nice, but also consider the plucky local girl who doesn’t own a bra.
- It’s entirely possible to eat the worm out of the bottom of a bottle of tequila without drinking the entire bottle of tequila.
- Watch out if you work in the oilfield. You could break your back if you’re not careful.
- Some cowboys got smarts real good.
- A Lone Star beer can fit in the back pocket of a pair of Wranglers.
- Feel the need to punch someone in the face? Go to Gilley’s.
- Bored on a Tuesday night? Go to Gilley’s.
- Have a hankering for slow humping a mechanical bull? Go to Gilley’s.
Urban Cowboy Quotes I Still Recite:
- Fine. Forget it.
- I’ve got a thumb. I’ve got a middle finger.
- UNCLE BOB!
- McDonald’s again?
- You know how to two-step? [You bet.] Wanna prove it? [Alright.]
- Daddy does oil. And all that that implies.
- My legs are sweating, Mama.
Urban Cowboy Soundtrack Favorites You Should Purchase:
‘Hello Texas’ by Jimmy Buffett
‘Stand By Me’ by Mickey Gilley
‘Cherokee Fiddle’ by Johnny Lee
‘Could I Have This Dance’ by Anne Murray
‘Lookin’ For Love’ by Johnny Lee
‘The Devil Went Down To Georgia’ by The Charlie Daniels Band
Now it’s your turn! Which quotes did I miss? Do you long for personalized license plates? Or is that just me? Did you love Pam and hate that you loved Pam? Did you think Wes Hightower was gross? Did you think Uncle Bob’s personality was as big as his waistline? Do you have any idea what I’m talking about?