Lessons Learned from Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
Four months ago we celebrated Pretty in Pink’s 30th anniversary and now it’s Ferris Bueller’s Day Off’s turn. Once again, my friend Stephanie rallied the troops so we could all enjoy one of our favorite flicks at an actual movie theater. Look! There’s Abe Froman on the big screen! It was glorious. It also proves that 1986 was a stellar year.
Even though I once had a legitimate crush on Ferris, I always wrestled with the fact that he was ditching school. As a strict rule follower, I never could embrace the day off as fully as the characters in our story. Every time our trio almost got caught by Mr. Bueller or Mr. Rooney, I developed heartburn. But I pressed on for several reasons:
- My sister forced me.
- I owed it to John Hughes.
- Sloane’s killer white fringe jacket.
- The parade.
I love a parade.
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off Lessons Learned:
- Although I would never in a million years use this tactic, I often found it interesting that licking one’s palms would help secure the validity of a fake sickness.
- A black and brown vest paired with a leather jacket and white patent shoes sounds like a fashionable nightmare. I’m here to tell you that it withstands the test of time.
- Don’t underestimate the power of a fancy synthesizer.
- Have at least three different fake accents in your repertoire.
- There’s a difference between being a sarcastic brainiac and a mean-spirited one.
- It’s okay to covet Sloane’s hair.
- Learn to play the accordion.
- Make friends with rich kids who have entire garages full of classic cars. Never take these cars joyriding unless you are prepared to have some sort of nervous breakdown, followed by an epiphany.
- Visit a museum and kiss someone you love in front of a famous painting with inspirational music playing in the background.
- Wear a cool hat when riding around in a convertible Ferrari.
- Make it your personal duty to guarantee your best friend has fun today. Try not to break any laws when making this happen.
- Disclaimer: All bets are off if a snooty maitre d’ of a French restaurant is cramping your style.
- Live your life to the fullest because…
- Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Ferris Quotes I Still Recite
- Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?
- How can I possibly handle
schoolwork on a day like this?
- I weep for the future.
- They think he’s a righteous dude.
- Wrap a hot towel around your head.
- Hey batter, batter, batter, sa-wing, batter.
- Gummy bear? They’ve been in my pocket. They’re real warm and soft.
- Oh, oh. Chick. Chicka-chickaaaahhhhh!